Q. Can you tell us more about
Japanese business style?
A.Business dress and the items required will vary widely depending on industry and job category. Although a suit with jacket is fundamental for both men and women when interviewing or meeting with clients, the dress code may be more casual for IT or design-related employers, and in summer some employers may not require the jacket or necktie to be worn.
- Face & hair
- I shave my face daily. I wear my hair to a length that does not cover my ears. I use hair styling product each morning.
- I keep my fingernails short. This is because my fingers are often highly visible when describing or presenting my company's products to clients.
- I choose sober, conservative colors. Dark blue, gray, or black are basic. A jacket is required. My suit needs to impart a sense of calm and security to my clients.
- When meeting with clients, I cannot use my smartphone to check the time, so I wear a watch every day.
- Long-sleeved white shirts worn with a necktie are basic. I wear long sleeves even in hot weather.
- Black or brown in color. Choosing the same color as my belt is a cardinal rule. Shoes are always well polished.
- In Japan, you often need to remove shoes before entering a tatami mat room, so my socks must be unremarkable and the same color as my suit. White socks are not allowed.
- A bag or case is essential. Japan is quite safe, so I can carry it by hand. My bag is black. It should be large enough to transport documents without folding.
- Face & hair
- For make-up, I always apply foundation and lipstick. My hair is usually kept back in some way. Hair ties and accessories are in black, dark blue, or brown to give a serious impression.
- Inner (Blouse, shirt, knitwear)
- I often wear white, black or gray. I often wear shirts made from jersey cloth in summer and knitwears in winter. I vary the color and material depending on the season and the jacket I am wearing.
- I only wear a jacket when I meet with customers. I generally wear a knee-length skirt that matches the color of the jacket.
- I don't have to wear any accessories. However, on some days I wear a simple necklace and earrings.
- Generally I wear pumps with a heel. I have a black pair and a brown pair. I walk quite a lot on my commute, so I change my shoes every other day.
- I always wear stockings in summer and black tights in winter. I always keep a spare pair in the office in case they run.
- A black or brown bag with an inconspicuous design and logo is simple and easy to use. It's best to have a bag in which you can carry documents without having to fold them.